HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 02:23:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
44808 Posts in 3027 Topics by 812 Members
Latest Member: DawnR
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Duramycin-10 dosage/mix ?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Duramycin-10 dosage/mix ?  (Read 4905 times)
K-Ro
Goat Genius

Serbin Ziegen

« on: December 20, 2010, 03:55:09 PM »

I need help on the dosage and how to mix this.

It's Duramycin-10  6.4 oz  soluable powder

Mixing instructions  6.4oz will make 25 gal containing 400mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal

Obviously I can't wrap my mind around this, how much does the doe need to drink to get her daily dosage?

folks at the feedstore weren't any help either.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 04:57:23 PM »

my best calculations and I could be wrong..but here it is...
128 ounces per gallon of water...your mix does 3200 ounces..6.4 ounces per 25 gallons is .25 ounces per gallon (there's where my figures could be wrong).  Determining how much your doe needs to take in would by accounted by her age, her weight, and her breed (large breed or small breed).  I'm not sure how much of it per day she'd have to take in to get her proper dosage.

Isn't this an antibiotic? 

~ Birdie ~
Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 06:55:56 PM »

Yeah its an antibiotics because its in injectible form too.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 04:33:18 AM »

so unless it's for chickens, (which is what I used this for, years ago, with 10 of my chickens that got what the vet said was "dust pneumonia), I sure wouldn't use this on a goat.  Any thing water soluable wouldn't react as quickly as injected anitibiotics.

~ Birdie ~
Grannies Nannies
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 07:12:03 AM »

Any medication in drinking water is not reliable,  they may not drink enough to get the proper dosage.
pearplum
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

The Lincolnshire Fens. England.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 07:28:39 AM »

Is this the smallest quantity you can buy?

And, off the point I know but really, although I moan about all the changes we have had to go through since we Brits joined up with mainland Europe, I wouldn't want to go back to gallons , pounds and ounces, feet and inches etc etc. For the "mathematically challenged " like me the metric system is SO simple. Everything is in multiples of ten so we only ever have to add on 0s or move decimal points to multiply and divide.  Never thought I'd say that!
K-Ro
Goat Genius

Serbin Ziegen

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 06:51:27 PM »

yep, that was the only thing available yesterday.  so it broke down to 1/8tsp to 1oz water that gave 400mg of meds.  That was my problem was trying to figure out how to get it into her and make sure she got the right amount.

What a mess.

We have now managed to determine that what the vet insists is plant poisoning, is not.  We lost our herd queen on 12/3 so pulled the goats off pasture.  Well yesterday one started with the same thing- so it's not a plant if they don't have pasture (have also had others come wlak the property and they don't find anything either).  As soon as she started I gave her Pen G, baking soda balls then that afternoon got the tetracycline into her and another dose 4 hours later.

She has never gone completely down like all of the rest did (I have only managed to save 2 of them, we have lost 5- and the vet put one down).  She still has severe scours, and I can tell she doesn't feel good, but she hasn't gone down, she hasn't stopped eating, and she hasn't stopped drinking.  I have no doubt this is the same thing as the others had, just by how it started and how quick it was moving thru her.

Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 07:06:03 PM »

oh my goodness! can they do some kind of culture to check for bacterial problems?
K-Ro
Goat Genius

Serbin Ziegen

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 07:17:34 PM »

Well my vet insists it's senna poisoning, no ifs ands or buts. Am going to talk with him again tomorrow.

I finally got a hold of a person at A&M and he insists he's the goat expert up there, but he does the necropsies.  he did say it sounds bacterial in nature, but he can't confirm it w/o her dieing.  I asked if I could take her into the clinic up there and can't seem to get an answer aside from the fact that I need to be referred. Angry

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 07:34:29 PM »

Well crap..force your vet to refer you to them then...you don't have time to loose another one for them to autopsy to find out..they need to tell you what's going on.

K-Ro..have you tried the cultured yogurts on them?  replenishing the good bacteria?  Sounds to me like their immune system is compromised to where they can't fight this.  Bacterial or poisoning, they'd need their good bacteria built back up. 

You know what I'd do?  I'd hit them real hard with a big dose of vit A,D and E, and then hit them every hour with thiamine (big doses--double the dose, even triple it), and then come right back with fortified b-complex every hour as well..(again big doses)..around the clock..push the vitamins, vit. C even..push it in them.  Apparently their entire system is thrown off and not able to reproduce itself..the vitamins would supplement what they need, and keep it built up to where they could maintain. 

I do that along with what you're already doing.  I know you've done it already..but I'd check your hay..and I'd take it in to be analyzed and make sure some type of fertilizer or preservative wasn't used on it that isn't good for goats.

The other thing, your goats are showing symptoms of what I had happen with the distillers grain..our vet faught for 3 weeks to get our entire herd through that, and they too kept eating but the massive diarrhea was awful..my Vet told me they were poisoned too..and when she took samples of our grain (and we had just gotten 3000 pounds of grain--from a substitute feed mill as our mill was down for maintainance and upgrades), hay, and our water..she found the distillers grain, and I told her I never ordered that in my feed.  That feed mill got to pay for my Vet bill as well as take back all that stuff they milled for me, and mill "my" feed mix the way I told them to..their excuse was "we lost your feed mix"..well then they should have called me!!  Angry Angry

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: