HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 11:06:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
45436 Posts in 3067 Topics by 777 Members
Latest Member: saran
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  LLamas, Alpacas, Sheep (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Can one sheep live with goats or should I keep 2 together?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Can one sheep live with goats or should I keep 2 together?  (Read 4236 times)
palmerdjph
Bouncing Babies

« on: August 03, 2010, 11:40:23 PM »

We have a dairy goat herd and 3 4H sheep.  We are wondering if we want to butcher one sheep for our freezer and sell 2 at the 4H show.  Will one sheep live peacefully with my goats or will the sheep be so upset that she quits eating?  I've always heard you can't have just one sheep, you need 2.  Do I need to bring home 2 sheep?   I suppose another solution might be to bring home two and then sell one at the sale barn when I am ready to butcher the one. 

We ate sheep for the first time last night and it was good.   

Thanks, Judy

Judy
Young LaMancha Breeder
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:50:55 PM »

I always pastured them like I did the goats. But I always kept them seperate too. Sorry not much help  Smiley
Sandie
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:50:01 AM »

if your sheep have been kept with the goats so they are part of the same herd then one should be ok for a while, but  eventually it will get depressed without another sheep even if it is in the goat herd, even though i run my goats and sheep together they are still 2 very distinct groups the only exceptions are the lambs that have been adoptd and raised by a goat and they mingle with both groups. since you like the taste of sheep then perhaps you can get a couple of ewes to keep and breed ? using the lambs for meat each year.another option,  it should not be to hard to locate another sheep for a companion for the one you want to keep and you could then put 2 in the freezer. if you are selling the 2 at 4h auction they will most likely bring a lot more $ then it would cost to pick up another sheep for the freezer. that option also allows you to feed the new sheep the way you want it to be fed till freezer time.
pearplum
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

The Lincolnshire Fens. England.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 03:30:27 AM »

I have 3 sheep who run with my goats. Just old ladies who are pets (not dinners!) but while they don't avoid the goats I would not say they are best buddies! Basically the two groups ignore each other so if you want a happy healthy sheep I would try to get at least one more of it's own kind for company. :ram: :ram:
ilroost
Caprine Guru

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:43:42 PM »

i have 1 sheep in with my herd of pygmies, they get along fine. but she was brought home at a very young age and i'm sure she doesn't know any better. they run and jump and play together
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 10:28:20 AM »

I've had single sheep in with the goats many times and they did fine. The last time the sheep ruled the pen, even put my arrogant herd queen in her place!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
palmerdjph
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 10:55:54 PM »

Thanks for everyone's input.  Wed. is the day we need our decision to be final.  We are still on the fence about what to do.   ???  Thanks, Judy

Judy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: