HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 05:33:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
45406 Posts in 3067 Topics by 777 Members
Latest Member: saran
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Crusty Nose
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Crusty Nose  (Read 1943 times)
harmon_farms
« on: May 04, 2010, 09:36:06 AM »

One of my does has a snotty nose apparently, because her nose keeps getting all crusty and I have to pull off the yucky so she can breath. I know some of you will say VetRx, but I don't have any right now. Other alternatives or thoughts?
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:37:58 AM »

I have the same problem with one of my does.  Try putting a little Vicks or Mentholatum on her nose.  Is it allergies? 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
Ace
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Illinois

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:38:22 AM »

I'd use a cloth dipped in salt water to loosen the crusties, then some Vicks.  Hope this helps   Smiley
harmon_farms
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 12:37:29 PM »

Vicks is a good idea! Hadn't thought of that. I don't know if it's allergies or not, might be. I think part of  the crusties are because when she eats she snorts around in her dish and gets the loose part all over lol.
Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 12:56:30 PM »

Yep I would do the Vicks!
harmon_farms
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 12:45:25 AM »

Gotta bring this back up. Her nose doesn't seem to be getting any better. It was for a bit, but now it's all crusty again. Would putting some neosporin on help heal the skin around the nostrils? Something else?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 05:05:29 AM »

Rachel,
Chances are it will never stop..we had a few that did that, and it was always that way.  Don't ask me why, it just did.  I wondered many times if it was just nasal allergies.  Ours never bled or got more than the crusty nasty stuff you'd have to clean out of their noses, and VetRx or Vicks helped only if you did it every day, but it never went away, it got better but was always there.

I don't think neosporine will hurt but I wouldn't go too far into the nasal cavity with it.

I'd just keep doing a little vetrx on a q-tip in her nose every other day or so, and stay with keeping it cleaned out.  If it's bloody try the neosporin and see if it helps.

But don't be surprised if it doesn't go away.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 11:32:28 AM »

I had a doe who has nasal allergies where she was always runny and crusty. I used my prescription nasal allergy spray on her. It worked great and helped keep the allergy symptoms away. Roll Eyes ???

BTW, I got her her own bottle, we didn't share, mostly for her own protections since I wasn't sure what she was allergic to.  Wink

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
harmon_farms
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 06:55:40 PM »

I wish I knew what she was allergic too. When I got her, she was fine. (a little over a month ago)
Today it was kinda bloody, just looks really raw, maybe a little inflamed. I feel sorry for the poor girl.
She also has some "bumps" on her udder. They are rough and scabby. I had several fall off the other day, and it was just pink under them. Like a scab coming off your skin. I dunno. If it's not one thing it's another lol.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 07:03:19 PM »

That could have been bites on her udder.  And maybe it's something she is sticking her nose into.  Have you tried any tea tree o8il on it.  It will sting at first---but it might take care of the inflamation and rawness.  As a matter of fact---that would be good on those spots on her udder also.
Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 07:22:50 PM »

I had one get bumps like that on her udder. I used the tea tree and lavender in oil and rubbed it on her udder. They started drying up and going away. It never came back..
harmon_farms
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 07:47:03 PM »

I wondered about the tea tree oil. I have some that I'll try on her.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 07:43:16 AM »

have to wonder though, with tea tree oil going up the nostrils that way..that stuff is pretty strong in odor, let alone how bad that will sting when it hits raw sores..she may frail herself around and scream bloody murder, rubbing her nose on any thing she can find to relieve it and get it off her..I don't know that I'd do that..it's just too strong for the nostrils.

~ Birdie ~
Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 03:10:11 PM »

Something that works as well as tea tree oil but doesnt sting and would relax her more than anything is Lavender oil. Not as readily available but worth having around.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: