HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 07:15:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
44799 Posts in 3027 Topics by 812 Members
Latest Member: DawnR
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Cloudy Eyes?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Cloudy Eyes?  (Read 3312 times)
harmon_farms
« on: August 29, 2009, 04:30:26 PM »

My little Saanen, 4 months old in a week, has cloudy eyes. Like a whitish cloudy film over them it looks like.
She is the one who we think has/had pneumonia. Treated her with Nuflor.
Thoughts? The little thing just will not put on any weight. We started the Nuflor on Monday of this week.
I don't know what's up with her.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 08:20:23 PM »

This lil' girl is really having a hard go of it.  Bless her heart.

This whitish cloudy film over her eyes, does it accompany any type of really pinkish looking lids as well?  This sounds like a case of pinkeye coming on.

You can try neosporin on it, but I think I'd rather you go with the Terrimycin antibiotic cream from the vet.  It works faster on Pinkeye than the other does.  Shame she's on Nuflor, because it takes penicillin to kick pinkeye.  When is her last dose of Nuflor?

Now, if this is pinkeye, wear gloves, because you can get it too.  Disposable gloves.  There's a remedy you can use, but this lil' girl is so young, and I just don't like using it on young goats.  But a squirt of LA200 in the eye will cure pinkeye too, but not at this age..their little eyes are still growing and adjusting, so I hate to use that on them this young.

~ Birdie ~
Candace
A friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Central Kansas ~Live Life Laugh Love~

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 08:23:47 PM »

It could be pink eye, brought on by stress, I've heard both of LA200 or specam scour halt (yes, spectam) being used to squirt in the eye.
Here is an article about it from goatworld:
http://www.goatworld.com/articles/pinkeye/pinkeye.shtml

Kelsey and Candace
http://Bar6DiamondRanch.com
Fullblood, Purebred and Percentage Boers
Purebred Nubian and Angora Goats
Club Lambs, Finn & Shetland Sheep
Norwegian Forest Cats
Great Pyrs as LGD's
Sandie
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 08:40:48 PM »

i would also think pinkeye, both from your desription and because i know of 2 other cases of it in our general area so it is going around.  if the cloudy looking stuff looks like a blister please don't put anything in her eyes if you break that blister you can blind her permanently. and it is very fragile  and actually is part of her bodys defence, what usually works on that type of pinkeye is shots of biomyacin given IM every day (prefered) or SQ every other day till it is all cleared up . for this stuff it can take a week or more of shots to clear up and they sting so you have to be tough and just do it anyway the choice is an owie shot every day or blindness . be sure that you give her some b complex as the nuflor is really bad about depleting the b vitamins which can lead to polio. and of course any antibiotic can do that but nuflor is really bad about it.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 08:45:26 PM »

Yes, but Sandie, mixing nuflor with biomycin can be deadly..I don't suggest she use biomycin in conjuction with nuflor. 

~ Birdie ~
harmon_farms
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 09:01:21 PM »

I've thought of Pinkeye, but her eye isn't any pinker than normal.

What about Vitamin A deficiency? I found this description...

Abortion, infertility, weak babies, night blindness, cloudy eyes, swollen brisket, cough, labored breathing, watery eyes and nose, weight loss, incoordination, diarrhea, head to one side

Everything I bolded are symptoms she has... thoughts?

Oh, and her last shot of Nuflor was yesterday. ( Friday 8/21)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »

Then you can do the biomycin, I'm sorry I thought you still had her on the Nuflor. 

I don't know anything about the vit A deficiency..our feed has AD&E added to it, so none of mine have ever had that.  It's a possibility.  You won't hurt her by giving her a dose of the AD&E gel.

But, I'm still favoring the Pinkeye thing.  They don't have to have the blister or the pinkish eye, but pinkeye does go cloudy and it does cause blindness, and it causes eyes to water too.

~ Birdie ~
harmon_farms
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 09:40:36 PM »

Can you use the A, D, & E Injection as a drench?
What kind of dose am I looking at?

I read BioMycin, Penicillin, and Terrimycin oint..... what do I want to treat the pinkeye with if it's that. I have the first two, but not the ointment.

What else can cause cloudy eyes? Where on earth would she have gotten pinkeye? None of my goats have it, no foreign people/animals have been on the farm.

Yes, this little girl just can't catch a break. She is 4 months old in a week, and still only weighs 15lbs. Her coat is still shaggy. The poor little thing just can't put any weight on.

My brother in law sugested she might need a kick start to her rumen. Could that be possible on the weight problem, or do y'all think it's just from all her troubles?
Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 09:46:20 PM »

The yogurt would help keep the rumen going. Can you hear her rumen going?/ Is it making any sounds? I dont know what else would need to be done. What about Nutridrench?
 My vet told me one time with pink eye that you can use regular Neosporin and put in their eye just like the ointment.. It has worked well on the 2 times we had pinkeye. But you can buy the ointment at the farm supply stores.
 Pinkeye is also caused by them getting weeds and or foreign objects in their eyes not just getting it from other animals.
 I dont know about the A defiency either because our grain also has it added and we have never had a problem with it...
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 09:49:02 PM »

I'd say you can use any vitamin that is given injected, orally.  I've done it hundreds of times with B1 and B-complex, and with nutri drench, that's nothing but raw vitamins.  I haven't given an injectable ad&e orally though, as I have the gel, so that's what I use.  

Well I know when one of my pygmy babies, years ago had pinkeye, I bought him with it, so my vet gave me terrimycin eye ointment and we gave him shots of penicillin.

I've never seen or heard of the pinkeye that Sandie is talking about..I've never seen any animal with a blister in the eye from pinkeye so this form of it, I know nothing about.

I do know about Pinkeye itself though, and it can cause blindness if not treated.  I know the LA200 works quick, but I sure wouldn't use it on her this young, unless your vet says to do it.

Yes, as Sunshine said, tall weeds/seeds get in their eyes and it can cause pinkeye and the most social kind is caused from seeds, tall weeds. 

~ Birdie ~
harmon_farms
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 09:54:08 PM »

Soon as Monday rolls around looks like another trip to the vet, lol.

I'm gonna drench her with yogurt tonight since she won't eat it.

So either Pen or BioMycin? Around a 2cc dose of either?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 09:56:39 PM »

Penicillin I'd use 3 cc's today and 2cc's every day for at least 7 days.  Biomycin is 4.5 cc's per 100 pounds, I do believe, so she's tiny, I'd go 3/4's cc or 1cc', and see if that works.

~ Birdie ~
harmon_farms
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 11:50:35 PM »

Thanks guys. This goat is starting to get the better of me. My brother in law thinks it might be pinkeye as well.
I guess I'll start her on either the pen of Biomycin, and get some AD&E into her on Monday when I can get somewhere that's open.
Like was said, the vitamins aren't going to hurt her, so that's not a big deal.

I don't know what I would do if I hadn't found this forum! You guys are lifesavers, so thank you!  GroupHug
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 09:33:10 PM »

Sorry I wasn't around when this started---but I wouldn't jump at pinkeye---it just doesn't sound like it.
The A,D, &E vitamins come in a gel from Jeffers.  It is in a tube like a syringe and very easy to give.
Sandy is correct about the"pinkeye" from other sources than just other animals.  Altho I don't really call that pinkeye---it's just an allerbgic reaction.  One thing you all want to be aware of---if your animal really has pinkeye, then you don't want to be letting them outside in the sun.  The light really bothers the eyes when they are affected with pinkeye and the animal will have considerable discomfort from the bright light.  So keep them in the barn when it is semi dark.  You also should be aware that if it is true pinkieye--it will run it's course thru your herd.  You might as well just let it run it's course and then all will be fine.
harmon_farms
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 09:39:50 PM »

I'd like to get some A, D, &E into her before the time it would take to order from Jeffers.
At least A anyways, lol. I really don't know about the pinkeye either. I don't know! She confuses me, lol.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: