HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 11:24:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
44855 Posts in 3030 Topics by 813 Members
Latest Member: Capricorn
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  goat losing hair
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: goat losing hair  (Read 2642 times)
pamcocoazoe
« on: July 11, 2008, 06:56:44 PM »

A while back my biggest goat was attacked my my miniature donkey...now he is losing hair.  It looks like it is mostly in the spot around where the donkey was biting him...and some of the hair also seems be growing back.   I just am not 100% sure it is from the donkey.  I have looked at all kinds of pictures and not found anything that looks like it.  Do you think the bugs are just bothering him and he is rubbing the hair off?  A couple of the other goats (mostly ones that wont let me fly spray them) are itching and rubbing but not losing hair. 

Also, he was really sick this winter and lost a bunch of weight...any ideas on how to get him to gain it back faster?  He eats grass all day but doesn't seem to be gaining fast enough.  I just wormed him about 2 weeks ago. 
needs to know more
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 08:43:42 PM »

how long ago did the donkey bite him? And what part of his body is this on? What did you worm him with? I know, I know!! No answers just questions. Sometimes bugs do bother one animal more than another. And if there was some hair loss from the donkey it could give the bugs a good place to get started.

Pam B
Goat Genius

South Central Michigan

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 11:13:57 PM »

If he was wormed two weeks ago you might want to give him a follow-up dose of wormer just to make sure that all the nasties are dead and gone.  The symptoms you are describing sound identical to what happens with my goats in the spring/early summer when the worm load seems to blossom with them.

Willow Fen Farm
Nubian Goats
pearplum
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

The Lincolnshire Fens. England.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 03:21:37 AM »

I don't know about where you are but the weather has been so strange over here that a lot of our goats still haven't got rid of the last of their winter coats yet. And when they do it's coming out in big patches and leaving them almost bald in parts. Your boy will probably look lovely again in a week or two.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 06:55:49 AM »

pearplum, our does are doing that same thing..there are some that are slick at velvet, and some that are taking their dear sweet time shedding out the old winter coats.

grant you, mites/lice and even worms cause this condition.  Dipping their legs in bleach water solution helps to kill mites..wait until it dries good and then use a good delouser on them (not a pour on wormer but a delouser), at the same time I would give them a dose of Ivomec (ivermectrin) to help rid worms and lice/mites that the topicals do not kill. 

I think you'll see a change in them rather quickly once these parasites are under control.  This dog gone weather has everything all messed up. 

~ Birdie ~
Pam B
Goat Genius

South Central Michigan

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 08:48:51 AM »

My goats all look rougher than usual and lost hair in chunks for the first time ever this year.  I'm wondering if it is related to the extremely wet weather we've had all spring and summer so far.  And of course wetter weather is great for worms, so it could all be related.

Willow Fen Farm
Nubian Goats
jdgray716
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 10:19:26 AM »

Well, do you have a picture of the area? And are you sure its a bite from a donkey? And are you loosing hair in just one spot? If the bugs are bothering him, it could cause it to itch and he might be rubbing it. But you could get the same reaction from it healing and feeling itchy depending on the size etc of the bite. You could also be getting that reaction from an infection as well. Could it have been a snake or spider? Another thought that came to my mind reading your post.

I would recommend the same advise as above. Worm him or her again. My buck was loosing hair and rubbing coat off on everything. After worming him, getting him on a better diet and getting some Synergize (sp) on his coat it helps so much. His coat was dry and brittle and so much more and he has just come so far since then. He had a lot of dead coat, winter coat, I was sure to brush it out good so his coat and skin could breath.

As for wight gain, the worming will help if they are a problem. And in most every ones heard as you read here they are a problem. Another thought is are you feeding grain? If not you might try starting him on some healthy feed. I did this with my guys and they have in a matter of weeks made a 300 degree turn around. I also never thought I would be so into promoting Fast Track but it has done wonders for my goats in such a short time. Its another thing that has been started with my heard and turned it around. Its not going to break you and it helps them digest, retain nutrients, as well as the coat and over all immune system.

Well hope this helps and again a picture would help and if that spot gets too looking real bad and it is infection a vet or local experienced goat hand may need to look at it. When all else fails those two are your BEST bets.

pamcocoazoe
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 10:52:44 AM »

It is definately from the donkey...I saw him attacking him 3 times and all the spots where he is losing hair are around there.  He did have one spot on his face that looks like a scab fell off.  I will worm him again.  All my other guys have pretty much lost their winter coat but he does still seem to have his.  But last year...all of my guys kept their winter coat all summer.  It was a colder summer though.   They do get grain but not every day.   I alternate giving them grain one day and the next a flake of hay and then fruit and veggies another.  I keep it that way in the summer so that they will eat the grass and not get bored with what they get for food.  In the winter they get grain everyday along with the hay and then I give them fruits and veggies but different ones each time.  The bugs are really bad here this year and the weather has been strange too. 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 12:00:40 PM »

It is definately from the donkey...I saw him attacking him 3 times and all the spots where he is losing hair are around there.  He did have one spot on his face that looks like a scab fell off.  I will worm him again.  All my other guys have pretty much lost their winter coat but he does still seem to have his.  But last year...all of my guys kept their winter coat all summer.  It was a colder summer though.   They do get grain but not every day.   I alternate giving them grain one day and the next a flake of hay and then fruit and veggies another.  I keep it that way in the summer so that they will eat the grass and not get bored with what they get for food.  In the winter they get grain everyday along with the hay and then I give them fruits and veggies but different ones each time.  The bugs are really bad here this year and the weather has been strange too. 

Your goats won't get bored with grain..trust me..never saw one yet that turned it's nose up to grain  Wink .  However, something you must know here..Goats hate change..and that means "change" in diets as well.  Fruits and veggies are good in "modification"..meaning as a small treat on ocassion..never as a main meal or a meal.  I would rather see you feed grains that are needed in the digestive tract than to see you feed fruits and veggies as a meal.  Hay is fantastic, and so is grass land..however, goats (again I state this..sounding like a broken record here..lol) are NOT grazers they are foragers..so forcing them to eat grass land without the hay is not a good idea, so you have that properly set for sure, but hay needs to be given every day, not every so often.  Grain, giving them it once every other day or two days is only throwing the system out of wack..in my experience, you can cause, bloat, and other major complications by shocking the system that way.

I may be far off base here and this might be working for now with your herd, but I do see complicatons coming to unfold.  Proteins are a factor with a this regimen..I would watch closely for a protein defiency.  Minerals are taken from graiins and hays and grass lands as well.  Zinc and selenium would be what I would have to know are in proper porportions here.

Lots of folks raise their goats out in pasture lands..but you'll see them eat the weeds long before they do the grasses..and when forced to, they will eat the grasses, especially red clover. 

Now to your hair lose problem..heehee..ok, long lengthy reply..sorry about that..lol.  I would start checking for defiencies in your protein levels since I now know how your feeding regimen is..I would guess that worming is going to take and make a good stand with your goats now, grazing pasture lands they pick up worms much faster than if they are supplemented hay and grain, which makes them eat less on the grass lands.

~ Birdie ~
Nanny K
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 12:08:03 PM »

Pam -  beet pulp works great too.And yes they NEED grain everyday.Do you put out a mineral lick?I don't know what you've got for trees in Litchfield,here in Norridgewock pine(which is a naural wormer) and willow grows quite plentiful and goats love both. Once a week I give mine a treat of both.

Nanny K
needs to know more
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 08:39:07 PM »

Since the hair loss is only where the donkey got him, I would just keep a close eye on them. Look for anything turning pink or black. The donkey doesn't have to break skin to cause damage!!!!!!!! Been there, done that, with both animals and myself!!

A consistant diet would be better for them. Having a fecal done on him would give you an idea of how many worms and what kind he might be dealing with. Some goats just have a rougher thicker coat than others. I just sold one that was a daughter, sister, aunt and whatever else she could be to my main herd. And her coat was way different than the rest of them. And they all got the same care!!
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 10:55:56 AM »

The stress from the bite and just all the stuff will cause hair loss also.  I would guess it is from the bite and I do agree watch for any sign of injury. 
  Also do they have a loose mineral out? 

Good Luck, I am sure he will be fine. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
jdgray716
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 02:34:06 PM »

If you start getting bald patches in other areas then the bit it could be hot spots. Which is what my Pacaso had from not loosing his coat in the beginning. What I did on top of warming was brush him out, or rake him out the best I could and then applied synergise to his coat. With your lil guy having open spots though you might think to wait. Another thing I would recommend is get your goats on some Fast Track it would really help out a lot. My goats look 10 times the goats they did in just the fisrt few weeks on it. Birdie can help you is you need to finding someone who sells it. Hope this helps...
Kit
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 02:41:12 PM »

I loose hair under stress. Maybe he's stressed. ???
pamcocoazoe
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 05:56:29 PM »

Thanks everyone...he seems to be putting the weight back on slowly...I may have just panicked for no reason.  The hair loss isn't getting worse but doesn't look much better but I am going to try all the things you said...my only issue is that he is a very picky goat...he actually does get tired of grain.  If I give it to him everyday, he will actually not eat it after a few days.  I have to mix blended veggies and fruit in it which gets to be a pain.  That is why I feed them like that.  He is the biggest and eats the least.  He always has.  I will start feeding the grain everyday and see what happens.  Right now I have them out grazing on all the crap the donkey wont eat.   They get tree branches and weeds, etc. all the time even on pasture.  I give them a flake of hey every other day or so because they don't eat it all.  They always have a supply of it but they just don't eat much!  This really picky goat was raised with horses so maybe that is why he is the way he is.  Anyone know where I can buy Fast Track in this area? 
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: