HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 01:39:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
22635 Posts in 1642 Topics by 827 Members
Latest Member: amulam
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Flush ???
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Flush ???  (Read 1227 times)
LeaningM
Goataholic

« on: July 27, 2012, 07:57:05 PM »

Hate to sound stupid, but I'm confused .... I hear people talking about flushing during breeding or that kids were out of a flush - can somebody please explain this to me?
mhoward2
Bottle Babies

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 08:28:28 PM »

Flushing means increasing the level of feed offered to breeding does, starting about one month prior to the introduction of the bucks, to increase body weight, ovulation rate and hopefully litter size.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 06:39:50 AM »

Oh my word..mhoward, I've never heard of that before..thanks for that education...

here's what "flushing" means to a cattle farmer/goat herder back home...

Flushing prior to breeding is flushing the cow/Doe for her embryo's/eggs.  Usually takes place for some type of Artificial Insemination.  Flushing of a cow/Doe after she's given birth is cleaning the cow/Doe out of all the after birth.

~ Birdie ~
mhoward2
Bottle Babies

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 06:49:38 AM »

What I posted is what I've read on several websites. I've heard of flushing before but have never done it. I'm sorry if I'm wrong about it.
Ace
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Illinois

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 08:39:28 AM »

mhoward2, that's exactly what I've read and heard on the way to flush a goat.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:41:39 AM by Ace » Logged
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 09:23:51 AM »

Yep, flushing is increasing grain in preperation for breeding.
#2  explanation is harvesting eggs for transfer to recip doe, which involves AI somewhere in the process.
One of those words that has more than one meaning. Wink
Marta
Goat Genius

(Crimea)ooooops whats that there then?

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 02:34:28 PM »

the way I heard it was....cleaning the body for ovulation, apparently the meat tastes better as well.

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 02:51:28 PM »

Bob, an old time chicken farmer called it, "washing the meat". He fed birds straight corn for a week or two before butchering.
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 04:39:01 PM »

Flushing is definitely a multi-purpose word!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 06:51:39 AM »

What I posted is what I've read on several websites. I've heard of flushing before but have never done it. I'm sorry if I'm wrong about it.

You don't have to apologize for your post...not at all....I'm old school, raised by even an older school farmer...new meanings to words pop up all the time. Smiley 

~ Birdie ~
Ace
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Illinois

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 09:57:41 AM »

Nope, no need to apologize   Smiley

My Dad and my Grandpa used the same definition of flushing as what you posted. It's what I've heard all my life and it's always what I've read.  But, it sounds like there are many meanings to flush in animal husbandry   Wink
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 10:49:11 AM »

The pre-breeding food flushing works well, almost too well sometimes, but you have to keep up with the nutrition (not the high levels like with the flushing but a good solid/balanced type) or the doe will absorb some of the fertilized eggs if her body can't sustain their growth.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
LeaningM
Goataholic

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 09:26:21 PM »

Thanks for all the input.  I've heard it used in several different ways & wanted to make sure.
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 02:49:05 PM »

Yeah, you also flush wounds and abscesses, eyes, and even the uterus with antibiotics after a difficult birth or retained placenta! Roll Eyes laugh

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: